Writing Coach information
To hire me, email: ConnerWrites(at)gmail.com
What I Offer
Every writer has a different path. I offer three different options to meet your goals: Writing coaching, Writing for Personal Development (a ten lesson online course), and Intro to Creative Writing (a twelve lesson online course).
We’ll meet one-on-one to discuss your goals, practice, and voice as a writer. I’ll give you clear, encouraging, and practical help with
• Getting on a regular writing schedule and developing better writing habits.
• Developing your voice and confidence as a writer.
• Moving from fragments of writing to polished work.
• Navigating the world of publishing.
• Getting through writer’s block.
• Using writing as method of spiritual development.
• Creating deadlines to and achievable goals for your writing projects.
• Starting and finishing your novel, memoir, play, screenplay or other long-form project.
• Getting you to enjoy the writing process and feel a sense of accomplishment.
Writing for Personal Development
Writing for Personal Development is a self-exploration online writing course created by Conner Habib. In this course, you’ll engage with your thinking and feeling, as well as listening to yourself and the world through the act of writing. While some of the lessons are the same from person to person, the course is also personalized for each participant.
The course, through writing and related exercises, will take you through different intersections of writing and your inner life, including:
- Your experience of memory, identity, and health.
- How you move through and understand the natural world, and what “nature” means to you.
- What your individual voice as a writer can tell you about how you think, feel, and act.
- The power of written words and written language in your life.
- The mysterious relation between writing and the world of objects, places, and other people.
- Writing to approach aspects of yourself that feel incomplete or painful.
- How to become a better conduit for writing so that what comes through you as a writer is stronger and more true to your experience.
When you sign up, you’ll get ten different writing lessons, follow-up comments and thoughts from Conner, any supplementary materials via PDF or links, and three Skype meetings.
Intro to Creative Writing
Intro to Creative Writing is a twelve lesson online course created by Conner Habib and tailored to each participant. This course is for a beginner who wants to go at his/her own pace, engaging step-by-step through exercises, readings, and lessons toward a completed short work of fiction, nonfiction, drama, or poetry.
Through this course, we’ll work on the many levels of being a writer, including:
- Deepening your sense of narrative structure,characters, and place in writing.
- Looking at the works of other authors and discovering how their distinct style arises from the way they put words together on a page.
- Uncovering your own voice as a writer through exercises that strengthen your practice, give you more options for tone, mood, and content.
- Immersing yourself in the world of literature and developing confidence in being a writer.
- Structuring, editing, and completing a personal essay, short story, group of poems, or short play.
When you sign up, you’ll get ten different writing lessons, follow-up comments and thoughts from Conner, supplementary materials through PDFs and links, and three Skype meetings with Conner.
NOTE: If you sign up for Writing for Personal Development or Intro to Creative Writing with a friend you’ll receive a reduced rate and special instructions from Conner on how you can work together to add another dimension to each lesson.
I’m a prolific and widely-published author and have years of experience as a writing teacher.
I’ve got over ten years of experience teaching writing one-on-one and in groups, including teaching literature, creative writing, and composition at the University of Massachusetts (UMASS) and Western New England College.
I was awarded the Distinguished Teaching Award – the highest honor awarded for teaching at UMASS.
My writing appears and is featured in/on: The Stranger, Vice, Salon, Slate, The Advocate, The Rumpus, Headmaster Magazine and more. I’m a member of PEN American and my work has been anthologized many times, including in Best Sex Writing 2013 (Cleis Press), Best Gay Stories 2012 (Lethe Press), and more.
I’ve presented lectures at a variety of organizations and schools, and was the first gay adult performer to speak at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
I’m also a nice guy, and we’ll have a comfortable and fun experience. I’ll read your work and challenge you in constructive ways without hurting your feelings. You’ll feel encouraged and excited to write more.
“When I first contacted Conner, I was looking for a kind of writers’ personal trainer–someone who would keep me focused, disciplined and productive. He provided all that, and so much more. His notes were sharp and insightful, his suggestions practical and on-point, his approach supportive, encouraging, good-humored and always respectful. He is not afraid to be bold and say what a writer really needs to hear. I recommend him highly, and look forward to working with him on my future projects.” – David Demchuk, playwright.
“Conner not only provided incredibly thorough feedback on my writing, but also brought it into a new focus. A year after our work together, I still always hear his voice in my head when I sit down to write. Working with Conner means centering writing in your life. He will very sweetly and gently call bullshit on all the excuses you’ve been using to avoid actually writing ; while giving you lessons, practices, and tools to turn your ideas into stories.” – Cyd St. Vincent, essayist, activist.
“With compassion and humor, Conner holds me to a high standard, and has helped me discover a passion for writing and reading. He tailors exercises and reading assignments to fit my individual needs and strengths. Finding my own writing voice has led me to a deeper understanding of my life’s journey and has profoundly influenced my experience as an artist.” —William Lunt, Visual Artist
Fees + Other Info:
I offer many different writing packages at reasonable rates. Each rate is customized to meet your goals and budget.
We can meet in person or via Skype, with as many meetings as you need per week/month.
Email me today to invest in your dream to develop as a writer!